I am thankful for the men and women who serve our country.
Thank you Veterans!
Here are a few Veterans Day facts:
- Veterans Day is always observed on Nov. 11, regardless of the day of the week, with speeches and parades across the U.S. The holiday began as Armistice Day on Nov 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I.
- In 1938, Nov 11 became a national holiday.
- There were 23.2 million military veterans in the U.S. in 2008
1.8 million were female
2.3 million were black
1.1 million were Hispanic
92 million were 65 and older
1.9 million were younger than 35
- Over 48 million Americans have served in the military during war and peace since 1776.
- Every year, about 80,000 veterans are buried in one of the cemeteries of the National Cemetery system.
Freedom is not free, somebody has to fight for it. Thank you to our vets!